Saturday, March 29, 2008

Pictures vs. video

Okay so I got a youtube account to upload video to share with you all but am currently having...how shall we say it...problems...difficulties...frustrations...actually uploading video. I really want our Vonage up and running so I can call Kevin for some tech support! :) So plain old pictures will have to do.
This is the view after we took off from FLL on the way to LIM. It was cool because this was the first time we had ever flown over the ocean. So it looked the same as looking at the sky...white puffy clouds with bright blue 'sky' behind them. No wonder pilots in WWII got so disoriented! It was really beautiful. We have an INCREDIBLE video of take-off: seeing the water, going through clouds and seeing the ocean below them. That will have to wait until later when I have reached my tech support!

Okay so I finally got smart and noticed a little icon up at the top of the blogging space that looked like a little film strip...go figure Blogger has it's own video up loader! how exciting. Now all I have to do is get the silly sight to upload my video. I am coming to the conclusion that I need to make smaller videos, or change the resolution on my videos...I wonder if I can do that on my camera...I will have to go and see. I will be right back.


Of course, Cindy didn't actually go and get the camera to see if she could do that- Seeing as how the camera was in my room and she hasn't come in to get it or asked me for it. She must have gotten distracted. Big surprise there. When I (Emily) came out into the room to ask to log on, she was watching an episode of X-Files. hee hee. I love my sister.

I don't know what she wrote about up there- all i read was the last paragraph right before the video (which is still loading... 24 of 31 somethings), and i'm sure she already mentioned it, but i will again anyway: i have now experienced the phenomenon of earthquakes. These were merely called tremors, but to wake up at 1:44 a.m. to movement and sound that you KNOW shouldn't be happening is pretty earth-moving to uninitiated me. The sound is what got me- the rattling of the windows but also another sound underlying everything else. For a person raised in Denver and then Indiana, even "tremors" are unsettling. no pun intended.

Then we woke up at just before 7:00 to another "tremor"- this time bigger. I think the internet said 5.4 for this one. Katie taught us a lot about how earthquake damage truly occurs and the best way to survive. (which is NOT getting under anything or standing in doorways or running out of the building.)

Well, the video is almost done, and Kristy is here with her van to pick up me and Cindy and Katie to go shopping at a "Wal-Martish" store to get what we need. So I am going to go.

Well hello again it is Cindy. We went to the store bought stuff we needed, and actually nothing we did not need (go us!) It was interesting. It was like a mix of IKEA, Walmart, Loews, and Dominicks. This silly video is still processing....it was uploaded and now it is "Processing" what does that even mean???? I think that it is not doing anything and just WANTS me to think it is doing something! Sigh if it takes too much longer I am going to give up and post this without the video.


So I hadn't mentioned the earthquakes. For those of you who know me you know that I can sleep through nearly anything. The one at
1:4o-something a.m. did actually wake me up but only for long enough to hear Katie (our third roomie who has been here for two years) say that it was just a tremor and that it shouldn't happen again. I thought "Alright then I will go back to sleep." The one this morning really annoyed me. See while unpacking I discovered that some of my knick-knacks had been damaged by the evil TSA employees. They are no longer my friends and they will NOT be getting a Christmas card from me. Anyway I woke up to things moving and one of my picture frames falling. It did not break and by-golly nothing else was going to either! So while Emily and Katie sat in the living room telling me to come out and join them I took time to lay all my frames flat and move a few elephants to safer ground. THEN I went out and joined them. I am more concerned that I am not concerned about the earthquakes than anything else. Katie had already told us about the possibility of quakes and told us what to do so I was not fearful, just annoyed. Apparently every thirty years or so they have a "big one" and we shouldn't worry because that happened November of last year! Now we want tremors because they help reduce the pressure building in the plates and will help make the time between "big ones" longer. So that was how our third morning in Lima started out. Okay I am just plain tired of this...I am going to save this blog and come back and see if the video is good or not. It will be posted this evening with or without the video!

Okay so it didn't happen last night but it is happening this morning...without the video. Sorry all I will try to figure things out and get back to y'all.

1 comment:

Wani said...

I just recently did my first video too! Actually it was probably my second or third attempt because like you it was taking forever and I gave up a few times. But there is a vid of Joe doing therapy on the blog now. And whats up with you reading the blog but not commenting? I know you where there... I need the feedback. Its kind of sad now much I need the comments to keep me going sometimes.